St George Rowing Club, trading as Rowers on Cooks River, is a registered club that supports competitive rowing. Rowers compete in NSW Rowing events.
The Club was formed in 1957 by the rowing fraternity to finance the expensive sport of rowing. It was initially formed with 24 members, but that was increased to 200 in 1962 to secure a liquor license. The Club’s first single-story clubhouse was opened on April 28, 1962, on the banks of the Cooks River.
In the early years, regattas and training activities were conducted on the Cooks River. However, The construction of the nearby bridge to the airport and the increasing siltation of Cooks River led to the rowing facilities being relocated in 1973. A small wooden building was constructed at Scylla Bay, Georges River, Como to accommodate the Club’s relocation.
On November 25, 1979, a modern Clubhouse was opened to replace the original building on the Cooks River. However, St George Rowing Club continues to compete and train from its Como base.
Rowers representing the Club have won several State and National Titles. The Club has also produced six Olympians.
For more information, please call Mark (0410 544 410)